Tuesday 4 August 2009

Jalfrezi Crazy

Gotta have a ruby on a Sunday? 

Can't find one that's open or half decent? 

These are my recommendations for central London.

Bare in mind I'm right next to Charlotte Street and I'm not mentioning any at that address, believe me we've tried them. I'm talking your traditional anglicised hard leather jacket wearing North Indian curry here, blow your head off spicy, washed down with a cold Cobra or sweet lassi. Tikka masalas, jalfrezis, tandoories, dhansaks. Not soft blousey Southern Indian cuisine, which is a different kettle of fish altogether and in which case I would strongly recommend Rasa on Charlotte Street.

For a good take away
I don't think you can fault Olives at 20 Cleveland Street, London, W1T 4JA. 
Telephone: 020 7636 1813
Open daily from 11:30-14:30 and 18:00-23:30

I had a king prawn Pathia, a curry I had not tried before - hot, hot, hot, sweet and sour - it hit the spot. The GR had a chicken jalfrezi, they do a vegetarian one too - always a good sign, suitably fiery with green chilli peppers, nice and spicy, a completely different flavour to the parthia. The Grandfather had a lamb tikka masala, only the lamb was probably mutton and chewy, but the red sauce was spot on. We also had sag aloo (potatoes and spinach softly spiced), a plain nan – good and moist and two pilau rice, which was ample for three of us. Reasonably priced too I think especially as the Grandfather treated us.

For a good sit down curry
The Punjab 80 Neal Street, Covent Garden. WC2H 9PA. 
Telephone: 020 7836 9787
Opening times: Monday - Saturday 12pm-3pm, 6pm-11.30pm. 
Sunday 12pm-3pm, 6pm-10.30pm

If you're in town and you fancy a sit down curry then I highly recommend The Punjab at the Shaftesbury Avenue end of Neal Street in Covent Garden. If you're not going at 2pm or 6pm I suggest you book in advance – I'm not the only one who thinks this is a great place for a good curry. It is one of the oldest curry houses in London, the staff are friendly the atmosphere is calm and quiet, the food is really good, so don't expect cheap take away prices, even so it's not too lumpy.

Always remember your eyes are bigger than your tummy when ordering a curry. One each plus one less rice than you'd imagine (you can always order more) one bready thing - nan, fancy or plain and one or at a push two side dishes is really, really all you need to order. You can always order more, and of course a poppadom per person while you're waiting with super hot lime pickle or mango chutney.

Mmmm I've made myself hungry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Making me VERY hungry! Yep, I had a good takeaway from Olives once, and although it's rather different from a traditional ruby, Malsala Zone is good.

Other nonsense

Quote of the day

‘They tuck you up your mum and dad...’
Anon - after Larkin

“Philately will get you everywhere”
WEM

“It’s not the despair, I can handle the despair. 
It’s the hope I can’t deal with”
Clockwise

“Each new friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
Anais Nin

‘Come on Dover move your bloomin’ arse’.
Eliza Doolittle