Sunday 3 May 2009

Meme from BelgianWaffling - stuff.

1. Are you a male or female:
Fe-male. Very female, I was such a tomboy as a kid, I got mistaken for a boy all the time. On a beach once, a football slapped me full in the face and I cried, a man told me to stop being such a baby. My mum had to say ‘she’s a girl’. I don’t cry much anymore.

2. Describe yourself:
I’m a bitch, who’s actually a nice person. Rather than a nice person who turns out to be a bitch. And blonde, definitely blonde. Kind of an only child but with 2 sisters and a brother. I was the ‘too much drink at Christmas’ September baby, 10 years later.

3. How do you feel about yourself:
I’m a passenger not a driver, a lazy opinated backseat driver.

4. Describe your parents:
Mum: Mother nuture. Animal mad, always had a dog, a cat, chickens, interspersed with guinea pigs, rabbits, fish, mice (that was me), once actually smuggled a stick insect back from Tresco that she kept in the kitchen. Never raised her voice. Cycled everywhere, painted a bit, knew the names of all the english flora and fauna, secretary to the Natural History Society. Died of a heart attack aged 75, the day after a doctor sent her home with indigestion. Still got a stone in my chest about that.

Father: Died in a car crash when I was three, daft bugger missed a corner and drove through a wall, left my mum to bring up 4 kids alone. She never remarried. Remember big woolen jumpers, and being swung upside down.

5. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriends:
First boyfriend at five, Steve Hall he had a moustache by the age of ten I swear.

Andy, 13-16 years. Local millionaire’s son, saw me from school bus window and rang my house. My sister answered and teased me, ‘ But I don’t know any boys’ I protested. He put me on a pedestal, from which I was far too eager to fall, frustration all round, no sex.

Julian, Vegetarian, Yorkshire man with long curly hair, art college, 5 years. Then he shaved his head, started smoking and eating meat and getting fat – he changed.

6. Describe your current boy/girl situation:
The Guardian Reader. Love of my life, father of my boy. As he says ‘I’m not married but the wife is’ People kept asking if we knew one another at parties in North London, then we met. Thought he was far too good looking for me, and insisted on a platonic relationship. Used to make him and his conquests cups of tea in the morning. Twin of badness, and much fun. It was our 13th year anniversary this March.


7. Describe your current location:
Laptop at mum’s table, our rented West end pad, silent apart from keyboard, the TV’s gone into standby. Wearing The Guardian Reader’s top as I feel poorly, he’s out working. No lights on, it’s 8.20pm.


8. Feeling better. A Greek island, skin tinged with salt and sun, a balmy breeze, brown toes.


9. Your best friend(s) is/are:
Two are from school and are true and loyal.
Two are from teens and are meedy (insecure and self absorbed, but I love them).


10. Your favourite colour is:
Pink, Turquoise, Wedgewood blue - there are too many.

11. You know that:
Of course I do.

12. If your life was a television show what would it be called:
Absolutely secondhand or No Sex in the City, hopefully only running for one season.

13. What is life to you:
Precious and short and something that should be enjoyed.

14. What is the best advice you have to give:
If in doubt of what to wear.
Wear what you had on the day before.

9 comments:

GingerB said...

You commented on Jaywalker's meme right before me - now that I've gotten here I had to mention that your baby is close in age to mine - how do you get a baby to eat marmite? But I bet you can feed him all the lovely biscuits I used to get in London, like Hob-nobs! Loved your booklist. Are you fond of trains?

westendmum said...

Hello Ginger B, how lovely to hear from you.
I put a smidgen of marmite on a piece of wholemeal toast (thin sliced) and he loved it. Now I occasionally give him Marmite branded rice cake snacks and he likes those too, they taste really strong, so he's gonna be a marmite lover like his mother. He's got a milk allergy at the mo, so no to Hobnobs, all the more biscuits for me. I'm fond of trains, why do you ask? How old's your littlun?

GingerB said...

Hi - my wee one is almost nine months old - and doesn't like much food so I always prowl for ideas. Sorry about the food allergies for yours, that is rough. I asked about trains because I saw quite a few train pix on your blog and I wondered if you were one of those train geeks I would hear about when I briefly lived there - I sort of hoped you were since my parents are that way and I find it so charming! You killed me with your poo comment on Belgian Waffle. Please come to my blog and read my psoriasis post - as a sufferer of anything chronic and hard to treat, I think I can make you laugh.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Hello Westendmum,
Cannot share the love for Marmite - but I like your blog!
MM from N1

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and I think it's darling!
http://fab.typepad.com/brunette

westendmum said...

GingerB
Trains? What trains? Where did you briefly live here?
Read your psorasis post and most recent, tried to leave a comment to no avail, all I can say is I feel humbled for complaining about Erbie's allergy. We had a scare in pregnancy, and I spent 3 days going through hell, I can't imagine what it must be like for you. You are so right, we're mothers and we just have to get on with it, like the little dots who have chosen to come and live with us.

westendmum said...

Metropolitan Mum
Hello, I hated Marmite as a child, you'll get used to it, I could post you some on toast weekly.
I can't seem to leave a comment on your blog either. I'm giving out unusually negative computer vibes this week.

westendmum said...

Margarita
Helloooooo, do you come with freshly squeezed lime?

GingerB said...

West1 - I was watching your photo display and I saw trains, I did. I lived in London for three months about a million years ago, I did a work abroad program between college and law school, and worked at a software startup with a UCL professor. I came home with an abiding love of English biscuits and steak pies from greasy chip shops. I can't say I loved Marmite the way I loved Nutella, which I found there, but I'd be willing to try again, since I love all things foodie. You never need apologize to me for tech problems - I don't have a blogroll, I don't follow anyone yet because I don't yet have an avatar, and I haven't a clue how to make a masthead. But I hope I made you laugh.

Other nonsense

Quote of the day

‘They tuck you up your mum and dad...’
Anon - after Larkin

“Philately will get you everywhere”
WEM

“It’s not the despair, I can handle the despair. 
It’s the hope I can’t deal with”
Clockwise

“Each new friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
Anais Nin

‘Come on Dover move your bloomin’ arse’.
Eliza Doolittle