Sunday 10 May 2009

Crabbing in Whitstable

We took the children crabbing, it turns out my two sister hostesses are a dab hand at crabbing. I spent hours as a child in Mudeford with a bucket of water, crouched peering into pools under the groynes trying to catch weeny crabs, andnever catching a one sir. Turns out I was doing it all wrong, the secret is bacon. Yes bacon, a piece of raw bacon on a line hung over the side of a groyne, the crabs were throwing themselves at us. N caught 5 within as many minutes and big ones too. Of course we put them back, watching them scuttle back in with the waves, but with a lovely sense of acheivement that I’d never encountered crabbing as a child. They were paid 5p for every crab caught by their granny so had become well practiced. I sat Erbie on the pebbles for a while and he was very contented but I didn’t want to explain to a doctor why my baby had swallowed three pebbles, so he mostly stayed strapped to me in the Baby Bjorn.


No comments:

Other nonsense

Quote of the day

‘They tuck you up your mum and dad...’
Anon - after Larkin

“Philately will get you everywhere”
WEM

“It’s not the despair, I can handle the despair. 
It’s the hope I can’t deal with”
Clockwise

“Each new friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
Anais Nin

‘Come on Dover move your bloomin’ arse’.
Eliza Doolittle