Tuesday 20 April 2010

Lucky

When I nipped into Planet Organic today to pick up a healthy snackette for Erbie I was reminded again of how lucky I am to be at home with my boy. The girl behind the cash register had a name tag that said Svetlana and smiled at Erbie asking how many words he had. When I started to reel off the numerous vehicular ramblings of my son she looked taken aback and said her boy was the same age and didn’t say anything yet.
‘I expect he will come out with full sentences all at once’ I proffered encouragingly.
I left feeling rather sad for Svetlana sat behind a cash desk in Planet Organic whilst her little boy was somewhere else, with someone else. I kissed Erbie hard on the cheek and took in a deep, fragrant nose full of his baby headed essence. I didn’t feel smug, I felt lucky. Lucky The GR wasn’t materialistic or going through too much of a midlife crisis, lucky that I was able to do a bit of work at home and still look after Erbie full time, lucky that we were about to get out first foot on the property ladder even though we are in our 40s!

4 comments:

Metropolitan Mum said...

I have been thinking about this a lot during the past weeks. I will not go back to work anytime soon. Maybe never, who knows? I am one of the lucky ones, too.
Great to read that you value and enjoy your time with Erbie!

Style At Every Age said...

Wonderful that you are able to make a choice to be with Erbie and that you treasure your time together.

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

I too feel very lucky that I am able to be a stay-at-home mum. I've loved being at home with my children - 6 years now. Both of them were speaking from an early age and I'm sure that's because I'm around talking all day, pointing out things etc. I'm grateful that I could make the choice to work or not and enjoy every minute of it. Enjoy your time with Erbie and lots of luck with jumping on the property ladder too.

westendmum said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments, yes I feel I am blessed - she says looking across at Erbie who has just thrown every last crayon and pencil onto the floor and is now throwing paper over his shoulder sheet by sheet saying ‘oh dee, oh dee, oh dee’!

Other nonsense

Quote of the day

‘They tuck you up your mum and dad...’
Anon - after Larkin

“Philately will get you everywhere”
WEM

“It’s not the despair, I can handle the despair. 
It’s the hope I can’t deal with”
Clockwise

“Each new friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
Anais Nin

‘Come on Dover move your bloomin’ arse’.
Eliza Doolittle